Thomas Forester and Sons Ltd.
Phoenix, Florant Majolica – 11.5 x 5 inches
“In 1877, Thomas Forester commenced business at a small manufactory in High Street; and as his business rapidly increased, he took additional premises in Church Street. These he shortly afterwards took down, and built upon their site a new manufactory – the Phoenix Works – which he completed in 1879.
The new premises gave him greater scope for his enterprise and, extending his connection, they were soon found to be too small for his requirements. He therefore purchased the adjoining china manufactory and completed his enterprise by joining the two works together, thus making one factory with six large ovens and every other possible convenience and appliance. The works enlarged with the business, and the business with the works, till Mr. Forester’s manufactory ranked among the most important pottery establishments of the locality. Certainly no other instance is on record in which, in six years only, so much was done single-handed by any manufacturer.
In the beginning of 1883, Thomas Forester took his sons into partnership and the business was carried on under the style of Forester & Sons. Upwards of four hundred hands were employed. The business closed in June 1959.” from http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/405.htm
Please leave a comment, especially if you have additional information on this piece of pottery or the potter.